What is a Narrative Essay?
A narrative essay has a central point, around which the whole narrative revolves. It is a story told in order to teach some life lessons. As a rule, it is written in the first person. The writer here is sharing personal points of view and his or her life experience. If to compare with other writing styles, narration gives writer a chance to uncover their life stories. The author can fully express the emotions. Usually, you can tell all the details of a particular event while telling your own story. To write a narrative essay is an advantageous task since it is aimed to share, not to simply research or discuss an issue.
The difficulties might occur while writing this type of essay. One of them is the similarity between the narrative essay and short story. Yes, these writings might seem alike for an amateur, however you have to feel the difference. Short stories and personal narratives may differ through the ways they develop character and plot to reveal an essential theme. To be a good essay writer, make sure that you are aware of the following differences:
- Reality and fiction. The most noticeable difference between them is their levels of truthfulness. In a short story, the plot and characters are made by the author. It can be inspired by a real life experience, the details are usually pretty altered. In narrative essay, we can see an account of the author’s actual experience. The author should paint a truthful, accurate picture of what happened.
- Concerning a point of view, in short stories the author has between perspectives: he can use either first or third person singular in order to describe events that happen in the writing. Personal narratives can only write from the first person. In this type of writing, the attention is all about writers own experience.
- Thematically, a short story’s goal is to weave character, setting and plot together to show some humanity issues that will not always be shown in nonfiction genre. Narrative writers usually try to teach a particular lesson. This genre is used to convey a lesson on to readers.
Handy guidelines for writing a narrative essay
Make sure to follow these guidelines to make your process of crafting your own masterpiece much easier!
– Include an introduction, plot, characters, setting, climax, and conclusion, if your essay is written as a story. However, it can be written in an other form. For example, when a teacher asks you to write a book report. In this case, this would not be written as a story and would focus on giving an informative narrative for the reader.
- Purpose is crucial. Make a point. Percept it as the thesis of your story.
- Narrative essays are mostly written from the perspective of the author. However, this is not the sole point to be considered here. Creativity in narrative essays oftentimes manifests itself in the form of authorial perspective.
- Just like any other writing, narrative essays are pleasant to read when the language is clear, particular, and artfully chosen. Ad a character to your essay by adding an interesting expressions and words.
- Do not make the reader guess what is the purpose of your essay. Make sure that you have a clear and understandable introduction.
I hope that you understood that the narrative essay is not that hard to write. It is one of the most pleasant forms of essays because of the great involvement of your own opinion and personality in the paper. Turn on your imagination and become the best essay writer. Create a masterpiece with the help of our recommendations.